Handy hints for growing perfect vegtables
- Practice a three-year rotation of crops to achieve bumper yields, avoid a build-up of root pests and diseases and make full use of manures and fertilisers.
- Sow seeds in spring when soil temperature is above 10°C (50°F) and you can rake it to a crumbly tilth.
- Work in Proctors Growmore and Blood, Fish & Bone fertiliser before sowing or planting to speed up growth and encourage weighty and early yields.
- Shield early sowings from cold winds, heavy rain and pests by covering them with plastic tunnel cloches or polypropylene film.
- Work in soil insecticide before sowing if wireworms, milipedes and other soil pests are a problem.
- Thin lettuce, spinach and seakale beet seedings early, and at intervals, before they jostle for space and grow weak and leggy.
- Enrich the soil with Proctors Garden and Potato fertiliser where root crops are to be grown.
- Hoe regularly to behead seedling weeds before they emerge
- Water freely in dry weather to encourage robust growth, and conserve soil moisture by spreading black plastic or 3" of garden compost or old manure between rows.
- Harvest crops at their prime;
- Peas and beans when pods are full but seeds bulge through.
- Sweetcorn when kernels are filled with think creamy juce.
- Beetroot before they are cricket ball sized.
Proctors granular flower fertiliser has been specially formulated to give a good general feed to the entire garden, but in particular to produce remarkable flowers.
£28.20 incl VAT
This 100% organic fertiliser is a by-product of the meat processing industry, and as such may not be for the squeamish
£32.70 incl VAT
This specialist fertiliser was developed by the John Innes Institute as a balanced fertiliser base for soil based composts.
£29.10 incl VAT
Used as a non-chemical fertiliser, poultry manure pellets vary in analysis, but typically contain 3% Nitrogen, 2% Phosphate, and 2% Potash, as well as trace elements.
£21.00 incl VAT
A 1 tonne bag of UK produced poultry pellets. Ideal for adding nutrients and organic matter to improve plant growth and soil structure, releasing their nutrients slowly and breaking down naturally to improve the fertility of the soil.
£360.00 incl VAT
A half tonne bag of UK produced poultry pellets. Ideal for adding nutrients and organic matter to improve plant growth and soil structure, releasing their nutrients slowly and breaking down naturally to improve the fertility of the soil.
£258.00 incl VAT
Perfect for all plants, both inside and out, Proctors Liquid Seaweed will transform your garden and potted plants, producing brighter flowers, greener lawns and delicious vegetables.
£14.10 incl VAT
Perfect for all plants, both inside and out, Proctors Liquid Seaweed will transform your garden and potted plants, producing brighter flowers, greener lawns and delicious vegetables
£40.80 incl VAT
Well cared for roses will need regular feeding, especially at the beginning of the growing season.
£11.40 incl VAT
This 3-6-8 autumn/winter fine turf granulated feed has the added advantage of 4% Fe.
£27.30 incl VAT
Instructions on how to take your soil test, sample bag, and pre-paid envelope to send sample direct to independent lab. Test is for Phosphate, Potash, Magnesium and pH. Results and recommendations are then sent via email.
£24.00 incl VAT