Handy hints for growing perfect vegtables
- Practice a three-year rotation of crops to achieve bumper yields, avoid a build-up of root pests and diseases and make full use of manures and fertilisers.
- Sow seeds in spring when soil temperature is above 10°C (50°F) and you can rake it to a crumbly tilth.
- Work in Proctors Growmore and Blood, Fish & Bone fertiliser before sowing or planting to speed up growth and encourage weighty and early yields.
- Shield early sowings from cold winds, heavy rain and pests by covering them with plastic tunnel cloches or polypropylene film.
- Work in soil insecticide before sowing if wireworms, milipedes and other soil pests are a problem.
- Thin lettuce, spinach and seakale beet seedings early, and at intervals, before they jostle for space and grow weak and leggy.
- Enrich the soil with Proctors Garden and Potato fertiliser where root crops are to be grown.
- Hoe regularly to behead seedling weeds before they emerge
- Water freely in dry weather to encourage robust growth, and conserve soil moisture by spreading black plastic or 3" of garden compost or old manure between rows.
- Harvest crops at their prime;
- Peas and beans when pods are full but seeds bulge through.
- Sweetcorn when kernels are filled with think creamy juce.
- Beetroot before they are cricket ball sized.
A fertiliser that is often overlooked, but all good lawns need an Autumn/Winter feed as well as the summer feed most of us do without question.
£25.05 incl VAT
A cost effective micro-granular fertiliser for control of moss and weeds, including broadleaved weed species, while feeding grass for a lush green lawn.
£30.25 incl VAT
This popular easy to use product is very effective in giving your lawn that Spring boost.
£17.35 incl VAT
Used as a non-chemical fertiliser, poultry manure pellets vary in analysis, but typically contain 3% Nitrogen, 2% Phosphate, and 2% Potash, as well as trace elements.
£19.30 incl VAT
A 1 tonne bag of UK produced poultry pellets. Ideal for adding nutrients and organic matter to improve plant growth and soil structure, releasing their nutrients slowly and breaking down naturally to improve the fertility of the soil.
£360.00 incl VAT
A half tonne bag of UK produced poultry pellets. Ideal for adding nutrients and organic matter to improve plant growth and soil structure, releasing their nutrients slowly and breaking down naturally to improve the fertility of the soil.
£258.00 incl VAT
Well cared for roses will need regular feeding, especially at the beginning of the growing season.
£10.00 incl VAT
Instructions on how to take your soil test, sample bag, and pre-paid envelope to send sample direct to independent lab. Test is for Phosphate, Potash, Magnesium and pH. Results and recommendations are then sent via email.
£22.92 incl VAT
This very safe to use product is designed for all lawn types of all sizes.
£12.05 incl VAT
Another straight fertiliser, this product is very soluble and fast acting, adding essential Potash to soils and composts
£31.70 incl VAT